Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gloucester to Hungerford Pt 1

Having previously completed the C2C and the Devon-Coast-to-Coast cycle routes, I decided to use up some holiday doing the "Gloucester-to-Hungerford-via-the-Avon-Kennet-Canal" or "GTGVTAKC" as I preferred to call it. The original plan was to go with my mate Barry, but unfortunately a nasty ear infection meant he had to stay behind in London while I caught the train up to Gloucester.



Gloucester seemed the very model of a sleepy cathedral town, it's quiet streets seeming a million miles (and approximately 3 decades) from modern-day London. Figuring I had an hour to spare, I spurned the cathedral and had a quick look round the (free!) Gloucester Folk Museum. Unfortunately I then had to spend a further 30 minutes trying to attach my new map holder to my bike. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but in the end gave up and just wore the wap round my neck on a strap (which worked perfectly well)

The first part of the route follows canals and country lanes down the Severn Valley with the river itself occasionally hoving into view. Even though you only really see the beginning, it's nice to think you're following the course of the river. Unfortunately time constraints meant I didn't have time to stop at Slimbridge but had to crack on for the Village Farm in Elberton (my B&B for the night)



This first stage was nice enough, but I have to admit didn't really stir the soul. The terrain was mostly flat, 30 miles partially on pleasant country roads and partially on tow-paths. Having said that Elberton was nice, with a decent meal and beers in the White Hart.

No comments: