Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Does Anyone Know...

...when you should replace your bike helmet ? In particular, I'm wondering about after dropping it. A lot of sites on the internet (the source of all reliable information) suggest you should replace it in that situation, but none of them specify what constitutes dropping it. I'm fairly sure that of the people I cycle with, all four of us have dropped a helmet from table/handlebar height at least once. Does this really ruin the integrity of the helmet ?

Best advice I found was on the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute site. One of their criteria for replacement is "Is The Helmet From the 1970s ?" :-)

2 comments:

baz carter said...

Depends on how well it's been used and it's age. My Trek helemt is now about seven years old and although I've never dropped it, it does need replacing because it's worn out!

matt said...

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm just ultra-clumsy and other people just don't drop their helmets.